Used inkscape for some diagram "drawing".
I used inkscape to draw a diagram for my bachelor's thesis. Worked out nicely.
I needed a bit of a complex thing: A matrix with descriptive text along both
axes and bubbles in the matrix cells with different sizes.
- 3-variable-diagrams are hard to get right
- None of the freely available diagram tools can plot those without learning
some stupendously complex programming language (with mostly abhorring syntax
-- yes, i mean you, gnuplot!) or using some language bindings for an API
- Inkscape is good for diagrams if you're willing to put some effort into
learning to use its tools correctly
- It has great features for accurate arrangement
of shapes in grids and in relation to eachother
- The more you can leave out of the diagram, the better it will look